People often ask us for the best books we recommend on the topic of stuttering. So we put together a list of books.
In these books, you will find candid and wide-ranging perspectives.
We hand-picked them, and we know and respect several of the the authors. In fact, several are our colleagues and friends!
To be honest, this list is LESS about stuttering, and MORE about the experience of living as a person who stutters. The real struggle and the triumphs of true transcendence.
While we can assure you that not every book is right for you, you will find something that offers insight, support and inspiration.
If you find something that interests you, go further!
We encourage you to contact the authors, as many of them are reachable via contact information in the book, or online.
And we'd be interested to hear from you as well. Contact us.
Now without further adieu, here is our top 10:
(Titles and authors are clickable links)
1) Out With It: How Stuttering Helped Me Find My Voice, by Katherine Preston (2014)
2) The Gift of Stuttering - Confronting Life's Challenges: A Personal Journey by Moe Mernick (2016)
3) Stuttering: Inspiring Stories and Professional Wisdom by Peter Reitzes (2014)
4) Living with Stuttering by Kenneth O. St.Louis
5) Solo Ascent by Matthew LaRue (2014)
6) V-V-Voice: A Stutterer's Odyssey by Scott Damian (2013)
7) Jaguar: One Man's Struggle To Establish The World's First Jaguar Preserve by Alan Rabinowitz (2000)
and #8 and #9 for kids!
8) A Boy and A Jaguar by Alan Rabinowitz (2014)
9) Paperboy by Vince Vawter, (2013) and Copyboy by Vince Vawter, (2018)
Now, those are the top 9. As for #10. #10 is the most impressive book yet!
10) Your story.
The next chapter of your journey!
Stay tuned for collection of Stuttering: Top 10 Films
We also want to include these free e-books - courtesy of and thanks to Stuttering Foundation of America.
Advice to Those Who Stutter by 28 speech therapists who stutter themselves.
Trouble at Recess by Jamie (8 year old girl who stutters)
Sometimes I Just Stutter by Eelco de Geus (for ages 7-12)
Self-Therapy for the Stutterer by Malcolm Fraser
The Child Who Stutters: To the Pediatrician by Barry Guitar and Edward G. Conture
Stuttering: Straight Talk for Teachers
Stuttering: Its Nature and Management by Courtney Stromsta, Ph.D.
The Girl Who Stutters by Mia J., Rebecca D., and Casey W. (school-age girls who stutter)
Pages 77-81 from Stuttering: Successes and Failures by Joseph Sheehan
The Stuttering Little Ballet Boy by Sohel Bagai